Be Mouth Proud for World Oral Health Day 2021
On the 20th of March every year, the World Dental Foundation invites the globe to come together and help reduce the burden of oral diseases with World Oral Health Day (WOHD) 2021.
Oral diseases are a major health concern for many countries. An estimated 3.5 billion people are affected by oral diseases, making it the most common health condition globally. This results in pain, discomfort, social isolation, loss of confidence and is associated with a number of health problems. And yet, there is no reason to suffer as most oral health conditions are preventable and can be treated in its early stages.
WOHD provides a platform to raise awareness and empower people with the knowledge, tools, and confidence to secure good oral health. Together, we want to inspire change and focus on the importance of oral health, helping you live a happier and longer life.
The theme for the next three years sends out a simple but powerful message: Be proud of your mouth – meaning to value and take care of it.
To help you achieve and maintain good oral health, practice these following actions:
- Good oral hygiene routine – brushing for two minutes, twice a day, with a fluoridated toothpaste
- Visiting the dentist every 6 months for a check-up and clean
- Eating a well-balanced diet – low in sugar, high in fruits and vegetables, drinking plenty of water
- Stop using all forms of tobacco
- Limiting alcohol consumption
- Using protective equipment such as a mouthguard when playing sports and travelling on bicycles to reduce the risk of injury
Oral health is one of the main pillars of your overall general health and well-being and managing risk factors for oral diseases can help avoid other serious conditions. The team at Tonsley Dental joins the global movement by being proud of their mouth this WOHD and following actions to better the support of their oral health and well-being!
Visit https://www.worldoralhealthday.org/ for more information.